Need to scale up right first time?
The successful scale-up from laboratory to pilot plant and pilot to production plant is critical. You know the required production rates that must be achieved, but how can you be certain that the process can be successfully implemented? Furthermore, how do you select the critical operating conditions?
The ability to characterise and understand the conditions of the large scale operation is important here. You need to establish whether the performance in the lab can be successfully re-created at full scale and what critical variables may limit this. These include, but are not limited to:
- Agitation intensity and the effect of mixer geometry - What is required to suspend any solids, disperse gas, create droplets or complete reactions to the required quality?
- Heat transfer performance - Can you maintain the required temperature throughout the reaction?
- The residence time required for the reaction, as well as any time required for any heating or cooling stages
- Maximum feed rates, and the most appropriate feed strategies to manage them
It goes without saying that you need to ensure the process makes product of equal or better quality to that produced in the lab. You’ll also need to make sure that the process runs safely and reliably, and maximises the utilisation of the available facilities. We can help you make successful scale-up decisions and be confident in your calculations.
There are a number of ways the BHR team can help:
If you need someone to guide you through the process, help avoid costly mistakes and get your product to market quicker.
Work with our specialist consultants and benefit from our proprietary expertise, which is underpinned by over 30 years of leading edge industrial research. Our fluid mixing research consortium (FMP) is funded and steered by its industrial members, including market leaders from a broad range of industries, such as Dow Chemicals, Azko Nobel, GlaxoSmithKline, Procter & Gamble, and PepsiCo. The work undertaken within this research programme is at the leading-edge of industry, and by tapping into this knowledge, our consultants can help get the best results for you and your team.
Find out more about the research programme and how to join, here
If you have a good understanding of the challenge, but want to gain greater knowledge, brush up on your skills and gain confidence in your approach.
Attend one of our Fluid Mixing Courses which will:
- Give you the design rules and methods to do the scale-up
- Help you select the best equipment for the job
- Provide the tools to identify what’s limiting your current process and provide methods to improve it
Find out more and see available dates here.
Not sure where we can help? Perhaps an initial chat would be the ideal first step.
Call us on +44 (0) 1234 750 422 or email email@example.com