Applying Nano-Coatings to Rubber
KRISTAL: Improving Tribology by Applying Nano-Coatings to Rubber-like Materials
With support from the FP6 programme of the European Commission the KRISTAL project has the goal of improving the performance and functionality of sliding and sealing systems of rubber-like surfaces using nano-technology and nano-coatings to tailor and extend the performance and functionality of rubber-like materials.
The partners include TRW, Leibherr, EADS, MFF, VITO and HEF
- Integrate fundamental understanding of tribological phenomena
- Applied research focused on modelling of tribological behaviour of rubber-like materials
- Develop nano-coating / texturing techniques with tailored tribological functions
- Provide technology transfer to industrial partners
- Validate at industrial scale the components developed for the end-users.
- Develop quick and cost-effective design methods of sliding / sealing systems by considering tribological aspects
- Control friction during the life of the component by tailored surface engineering
- Minimise the environmental impact of sliding / sealing systems by considering tribological aspects.
- Obtain self-lubricating and long-lasting sliding components.